Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Doctor Who - The Final Chapter


Doctor Who – The Writers Tale – The Final Chapter
A book regarding the last bits of Russell T. Davies work on Doctor Who Series 4.
2008 – 2010

Note: I am writing this review a bit differently, it hits close to my dear heart. Not just because I am a fellow Whovian, but part of a generation that has regarded change in storytelling.  It might feel like a conversation piece, yet worthwhile. Might even say it’s a thank you letter instead.

Dear old friend,
I am a third generation Whovian, my grandmother adopted the moniker when the first few transmissions hit stateside airwaves. Oddly enough tradition carried on towards my mom and dad. Turns out there is a bit more than just time itself.

Where do I fit in? I represent a part of time, and space whereupon storytelling began to change. I was part of the 80’s, a fragment where we saw robots interchange from being vehicles, to plumbers fighting supersized monsters and using powers. I never quite understood where It all came from, just pure imagination I gathered. But these were all based on ideas, compromise, computations, and ideological thoughts that made storytelling work.

I gathered myself as I made it through grade school, wondering if there were others like me. Interested in the same interactions, not just of characters, but beyond science fiction. Lo and behold, years later does the truth reveal itself. Doctor Who, was one of those series that has stood the test of time.

I have been reading, The Final Chapter for several days now. Although it may be a borrowed copy from my local library, I pen in every day I can to indulge the lost tales many fans never grasped before. Some bits were controversial, others were never used, or tales were skewered to make things work.

To tell the truth, I think the same idea goes behind video games as well. I look through my crazy collection of titles, and seeing how they’ve changed over the years. Stateside, our congressman still go bonkers over the “interactive violence” and “loss of integrity”. Hmm.. Doctor Who and Torchwood faced tons of arguments because not everything could be comprehended within its airtime or censorship gets in the way.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not writing that video games as a storytelling bit of art form don’t make me feel emotions. Not at all. Every title I have indulged myself into, I feel lost in Metroid wondering if I should avoid this place. Or in Devil May Cry, trying not to get cornered by a bunch of monsters. Or Tomb Raider, where every turn leads to danger and excitement! With Doctor Who, every segment breaks down to one thing, connecting with the viewer, with the writer’s heart beating every second. And if that fails somewhere, its as if the writer just had a heart attack, or it skipped  a beat.

Speaking of things that change, I remember the day when “Journey’s End”, and “The End of Time” aired stateside when Sci-Fi Channel helmed the rights. My mom pondered “No not my favorite doctor!”” Waaah!!”” *She wailed for days after watching the regeneration scene. I was so glad that we had a box of tissues, even my grandma (when she was still with us) even jarred a tear. Bless her heart.  I can’t believe how long ago that’s been. It is as if it were yesterday.

Going through my music playlist, I think about that Muse track playing when everything was about to end for David Tennant’s run as Doctor Who. I still get the chills every time I hear that track. I just lose myself into the song. It feels like a trance, where it all falls apart. It was scary and exciting.

Making it through the book, I find out I have made it near pg.400. I usually never read a 600 pg thesis that makes me take the time out of everyday just to indulge. I take breaks sometimes, playing a game for a bit, just to gather my thoughts on how interwoven interactive entertainment has always been to me.

Recently, I watched Series Seven – Part One with my mom and dad. They enjoyed the episodes, but sadly it fell short on 5 episodes. Distribution with this series is tough, I understand why the costs drove you bonkers during your time with the series. Even now, with the advent of more content being online.  To be truthful, I like having a disc in a player, just to hear it whir knowing its alive.

Listening to BT’s “These Humble Machines” album. Writing more words down, trying to come up with a conclusion to this letter / review. Its so hard to wrap words into a project. I do hope that life is treating you well. From a fellow Whovian to another. Take care friend.

(End of Part 1)



No comments:

Post a Comment