Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Wrapping up where the TARDIS left off


Wrapping up Where the Tardis Left Off
(Part 2)

Good day Russell, back again after reading the great adventure that was “The Final Chapter”. I actually had a chat with my mom and dad about the book. Brought a grin to my dad’s face; because he knows quite a bit about the series. And my mom actually recalled “The End of Time”, carried a sniffle. It was the last time that we would have watched Who with my grandma. Sadly we lost my grandmother to Alzheimers + Dimentia, a scary mix that she had for a short time. But plenty of memories… and it all started with a new Who.

Onto more positive topics:
1) How not to write a story: I have attended a few classes to grasp on the functionality of writing. I still scratch my head on how some grade “what they think” is honest writing. There is some bizarre level of understanding here stateside I do not know I will ever get a hold of.

2) Character: It is truly something how the Who-verse has grounded itself on so many levels. In addition to each actor’s portrayal always leaves something of himself behind, when the next Doctor takes the mantle (or suit) so to speak. Reading the last segment of the book, I could only imagine as your heart sank when David signed off, and Matt being a gentleman about stepping into the Tardis for the next few years.

3) Time: I don’t think many ask often enough “Which Doctor Who actor held the character role the longest?” For our generation, I feel that David did the character justice. I sank through some of the episodes from past Who adventures… Wow I just can’t imagine how fans felt back then. Its astonishing what transmissions were like, with Baker, Davison, etc..

2013 – The Doctors Assemble: 50 years and still youthful as ever! (I meant Who, I’m 28 just to clarify) When I read that in the book, I felt a grin on my face emerge. Seeing how much advertising has appeared on the web, and the official DW website.

*speaking of cliff notes, I turned in a small teaser for Iron Man 3 awhile back. I asked some of the writers in an email “Why can’t Pepper Potts save Tony for a change? Rose did it!” Just this morning during Good Morning America, the teaser came up on the telly revealing what she is capable of donning a suit. I can’t reveal just yet, but it was inspiring just to turn that in. Even Stan Lee might blush at the thought.  To be honest, you are one of the very few people that know about that easter egg.

Hey I went off topic, sorry about that. It feels weird when I finish reading a book, even one about Doctor Who. It is like the book is only a small part of a whole. I can’t imagine how putting together the rebirth must have been like, down in words.




Oh, and Torchwood is another story, turns out my parents loved it as well. I was able to find the series via our local library. Viewed series one, two, Children of Earth, and Miracle Day. I have been keeping up with the web any time I get a chance. Just to see if anything new is going on with that series, I do hope it continues in some format. Or even bringing Torchwood back, with Matt Smith’s journey. Could be fun!

Anything can happen! And lo, David and Matt together again! (plus fellow companions) I still smile every time I see Billie playing Rose again. Recently we lost the Ponds, sniff loved them so. Its interesting to see who you gave the reigns to, Moffatt is something else. Oh, I wonder if Craig Ferguson might even get to invite you, Matt (with a Stetson hat) and David (and more friends!) on his Late Late Show as guests. It would be an awesome party! What a better way to celebrate 50 years of a franchise brought back from the dead?

Its 8:40am, and I’m writing to a friend about a series who wrote for it. How awesome is that?
I was wondering, any chance you’ll be working on more books like “The Last Chapter”? I really enjoyed that way of sharing your experiences during those seasons. All the best.

(End of Part 2)




No comments:

Post a Comment